|As with every product, its life span will depend on the care you give it. These are some helpful hints on how to care for your silver pieces.
- To maintain the original condition of your silver jewelry, polish your pieces regularly using a non-abrasive cleaning cloth or sterling silver polishing cloth. (We have these available for purchase online.)
- Soap ('dawn' dish detergant is excellant) and water will also help keep your silver looking good. Remember do not dry silver off with paper towels or tissues, always use a soft cloth.
- When you are NOT wearing your silver jewelry, store in a cool, dry place. Zip-lock bag and individual cloth pouches are ideal for this and will help prevent tarnishing or scratching by other pieces. When wrapping your items, DO NOT place them directly in paper, cardboard, or cotton filled boxes, as these contain trace elements of sulfur which will tarnish your silver jewelry.
- Never immerse your silver jewelry in chlorine, salt water, mineral springs, or suntan lotion. Remember, some household cleaners contain chlorine bleach, which will cause discoloration and also loosen the gemstones.
- Avoid abrasive cleaners, detergents, and commercial jewelry cleaners "dips" especially if the pieces have an oxidized finish. Using harsh polishing cleaners will alter the antique look of your jewelry.
- Never use an ultrasonic cleaner, ammonia, or any chemical solution to clean opaque gemstones, such as turquoise, onyx, and lapis lazuli. They are a porous stone and may absorb chemicals, which build up inside the stone and cause discoloration. Simply wipe them gently with a moist cloth until clean. Never use dips or abrasive cleaners!